Draw Near To God
We live in a time when it is common to see people pulled off of spiritual center into a rushing river of busy culture, rush and worry. They back away from involvement with God’s people and just become absorbed in everything that is immediate and secular; then to them, God becomes mundane, tedious and something the smaller people can continue. While we should seek to recover those people, we want to take steps to guard ourselves against that familiar apostasy.
James can help us draw near to God: “Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you,” (Jas. 4:8). Read this opening paragraph in James four and notice these simple steps you can take to remain unwavering in your relationship with God through Christ.
(1) Give up selfishness: If you “covet and cannot obtain,” so you “fight and quarrel.” If you start spending your life “on your passions,” that’s movement in the wrong direction. Watch for the little signs of selfishness.
(2) UNFRIEND the world. “…friendship with the world is enmity with God.” You don’t need the world or the world’s admirers to be your admirers.
(3) Cultivate humility. If “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble,” run from pride and embrace humility, to live under the influence and blessings of God’s grace.
(4) Resist the devil. There is only one effective strategy, and that is resistance. You can’t listen to him, let him show you “coming attractions” or strike a compromise with his operatives. Resist the devil.
(5) Ask God for help. “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him.” When under pressure, confused, in doubt, weak, ignorant or baffled – Ask God. “Ask in faith, with no doubting,” and His will becomes your safety and hope.
“Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you…,” (Jas. 4:8).